Since the first celebration in 1924, the Days of ‘76 has grown into a legendary annual event with a historic parade and an award-winning PRCA rodeo.
The Days of ’76 museum began informally, as a repository for the horse drawn wagons and stage coaches, carriages, clothing, memorabilia and archives generated by the Celebration.
In 1990 Don Clowser installed his collection of important Old West Pioneer and American Indian artifacts, archives, firearms and archives into the pole barn that was the museum. Added to what was recognized as the largest collection of horse-drawn vehicles in the state, it became clear that the Days of ’76 Museum needed a new home.
In 2004 the board of the Days of ‘76 Museum, supported with a $3,000,000 gift from the City of Deadwood, pledged to construct a new $5.25 million, 32,000-square-foot home for its collections of Western and American Indian artifacts, archives, photos and artwork.